Tuesday, September 23, 2008

48 hours of Nonstop Rain in Naukuchiatal

I am not sure if you have already gone through my previous post on Naukuchiatal Weather where I have described Naukuchiatal as an all season destination and my love for the lake during monsoons. However, I must confess (like an honest travel blogger) that the rains can actually play spoilsport in Naukuchiatal.

We left Delhi on Sept 19 thinking that we would reach Naukuchiatal in 06 hours and spend a night there before moving onto Corbett to visit Tarangi Resort and Spa. Everything behaved the same uptil Moradabad and the moment we crossed Moradabad Bypass, we were greeted by a drizzle. I was very excited to realise that the remaining 3 hours drive was going to be without an A/C and full of fresh air and lots of greenery.

The car speed came down as I was enjoying my drive and moreso because the drizzle had now taken shape of a heavy rain. I was happy to imagine the lake and the greenery that surrounds Naukuchiatal but also feared the flush floods at some points near Kaladunghi. As we approached Kaladunghi, the rain became more heavier and the fear of taking the car over water also grew. I have done that before but its still not advisable. And guess what...I was in for some serious trouble this time :-)
I dont think I have to write anything after that picture. The situation was horrifying and the truck added to the fear factor. By the way, there was no rain for sometime. Thankfully, it was a money making day for the local tractor owners who were towing and taking the vehicles to the other side for Rs. 100/- (I am sure they must have partied like crazy that evening). I must tell you that these guys were good and Rs. 100/- was peanuts to pay for a job done so effectively. But then we also know desi sharab costs less :)
<---- Our Car getting towed

After crossing Kathgodam, while we were climbing the hills, the rain started again and this time I feared land slides. Trust me this is the first time I have actually witnessed this kind of rain on this terrain. Thankfully my fear did not come true this time . We safely reached Naukuchiatal and it took us record breaking 9 hours.

We were told by the service guy that it was raining for the last 5-6 hours and it would continue to rain for the next 36 hours. However, we went off to sleep giving little importance to the local weather forecast. We got up in the morning to see the rain in full swing and in fact it was more heavier than the previous day. No doubt it was beautiful but I had to go to Corbett to attend an important meeting at Tarangi Resort. I called up the reception and was informed that due to land slide the highway was closed.


I waited till 6 p.m. and then gave up...The rain was still on. And everytime I noticed it, it seemed more heavier :) There was water everywhere but then it was beautiful. The water level of the lake was also rising as small streams coming from the hills were maing their way to the lake. No doubt I missed an important meeting but the beauty of Naukuchiatal kept me alive. I called for some pakoras, sandwiches and tea and settled for a nice, rainy evening...
I got up the next day (and no points for guessing this one) and it was still raining. However, it was not that heavy any longer. It completely stopped around 12 p.m. and the highway was also open now. I took off again for Delhi but will never forget the continous non stop baarish of Naukuchiatal.

Please note that this is the first time I have experienced such heavy rainfall in this region (Not even during July & August). Naukuchiatal is not the ONLY place which was affected by this but I was told the neighboring areas of Corbett and Nainital (which suffered more) were equally affected. However, the skies are going to be absolutely clear effective October and remain cloud free uptil June next year :)
Global Weather is changing...Change your attitude towards Global Warming.

No comments: